All that remains of old Vratnik are towers, ramparts and gates that bear witness to times long gone.
A short distance from the tower Ploča, in Saburina Street is the Saburina kuća (Sabur’s House), one of the few surviving examples of residential architecture of the Ottoman period in Sarajevo. The House of Sabur, a prominent Sarajevan family of coppersmiths and traders, after whom the street was named, contains original interior with traditional handmade furniture, as well as replicas of traditional costumes for the Bay and his wife. The original costumes are displayed in Brusa bezistan.
The arrival of Austro-Hungarian Administration in 1878 found Vratnik with five forts, three towers, five large gates and a few small ones. Two forts have been preserved: Žuta Tabija (The Yellow Fort) which is now the place from where during the month of Ramadan, the cannon announces the iftar after a whole day fast and Bijela tabija (The White Fort) which offers one of the best views of Sarajevo.
Neighborhoods of Sarajevo
Bascarsija & Sebilj
Ottoman era begins in 1461 when the city was founded by the first Bosnian governor Ishak-beg Isaković (Ishak Bay Isaković), a pioneer in planned construction.
The new government displays superiority with large buildings. Aleksandar Vitek and Ćiril Iveković work on the design for Vijećnica (City Hall)
Gazi Husrev Beg Mosque
Another permanent stamp was left by Gazi Husrev Beg (Gazi Husrev Bey), triple Bosnian Steward and Builder.In 1530, with his own money, he built the most monumental building of Islamic culture in B&H
As Orthodox grew in numbers, so did the need to build a new church. It took over a decade to build one and it was completed in the last years of the Ottoman rule in 1874.